Friday, March 10, 2017

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Recently I came across this unpleasant surprise (on the right) and I need people to understand why I am so upset by this and why this is not okay. I am a freelance character designer. Meaning I make my living off creating characters and art. While I appreciate that my character designs have received so much love and attention that there has been an influx of 3D artists recreating my designs in 3D I am not okay with them being used commercially or for profit. This includes having them featured in books, magazines, prints, or contests none of these are okay without my consent. Whether or not I am creating a character for fun or commercially it is either I and or the client that has the final say on what will happen with the character and art at the end of the day. 
In this case the artist, Danny Mac, that created the 3D rendering of my Muse piece made a mistake when he agreed for Pixlogic to use his 3D rendering of my character. He and I are already talking in regards to this situation since he is stating this was a terrible error on his part and it will never happen again. While I respect Danny Mac as an artist and he is being very forthcoming and apologetic in regards to this situation I want it to be understood that if this was to ever happen again with anyone trying to use my characters in any way that I have not agreed to it will NOT be tolerated.  
Again, I am okay with 3D artist recreating my characters for fun or for their portfolio as long as they remember to provide credit and include a link to my original design. What is NOT okay is if they are featured in books, magazines, prints, or contests; recreated for commercial use; mass produced; or used for  profit without my consent.  
I work hard to create these characters and art pieces. I put a lot of time and effort into them and I will work just as hard to defend and protect my work. Please respect artist and the time and effort that goes into creating their art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment